Adventure Programs provides scheduled time and memory-making activities between fathers or father-figures and their sons and daughters.
Go with your child on a journey of discovery with YMCA Adventure Programs. The program allows fathers and father figures to spend one-on-one time with their child in a fun environment. Its purpose is to foster a strong parent-child relationship through quality time spent together.
The yearly registration includes access to a circle group, a camp out at Camp Thunderbird as a Circle in the Fall and Spring, some events throughout the year, and opportunities in our YMCA branches.
Campouts are where the big moments happen! On Saturday, enjoy what Camp Thunderbird has to offer; canoeing, fishing, archery, marksmanship, gaga, art, and alpine and zip-line for those who are 8 and older, with ending the night with a ceremony for those who are entering the program in the Fall and graduating out of the program in the Spring.
Who Can Register?
Children 5-12 years old with their father figure.
HOW TO REGISTER
- Click REGISTER to start the online process.
- If you are a YMCA member or already have a YMCA account as a non-member, enter your login information. For new participants, choose the “Sign Up” option in the upper right, choose any location you live near, and select the “Non-Member” option on the bottom.
- Complete registration for your first child, which includes one child and one father.
- If you have additional children, each additional child should be registered under the child’s name on your YMCA account.
- After registration, you will receive a separate email from PlayerSpace (prior to the Fall season) to fill out information regarding your circle.
For questions, please contact us at AdventurePrograms@ymcarichmond.org
Father Daughter Dance at the Science Museum
- Saturday, January 29. $15 for members, $20 for non-members (click registration link above to find registration for event)
- Saturday, February 26
- Friday, March 11 - 13 (Princess I)
- Friday, March 18 - 20 (Guides)
- Friday, March 25 - 27 (Princess II)
- Friday, April 22 - 24 (Princess III)
- Saturday, April 30 – May 1 (Family Camp)
Flying Squirrels Baseball Game
- Thursday, July 28 at 6:35 pm. Open to EVERYONE! $8 a ticket with patch
Additional events may be added throughout the year.
WEEKEND CIRCLE CAMPOUT
If you are new to the program and need to be placed in a circle group or would like to start a new circle group, please email AdventurePrograms@ymcarichmond.org. Circles that are not listed below, please reach out to YMCA leadership.
Friday, March 11 - 13 (Princess I)
C’est Le Vie
Chicas du Solis
Friday, March 18 - 20 (Guides)
All Guide Circles
Friday, March 25 - 27 (Princess II)
Friday, April 22 - 24 (Princess III)
Chicks with Saws
WHAT DOES A CAMPOUT ENTAIL?
Circle groups will tent camp at Camp Thunderbird and make lasting memories.
Friday: Check-in starts at 4 p.m.
Saturday: Activities are open 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. (with an hour lunch break). Ceremony starts at 7 p.m.
Sunday: Check-out by noon
Saturday activities include archery, marksmanship, art, zipline and alpine tower. Open activities include gaga, hiking, fishing, basketball, soccer, and volleyball.
WHAT DO I BRING TO THE CAMPOUT?
Water, meals (talk to your circle chief for food assignments), snacks, activewear (including closed toed shoes), mask, program vest, sleeping supplies, tent, flashlights, bonfire materials (ask about vendor contacts), rain jacket.
If you are brand new to the program and need to be placed in a core Circle group, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to be placed in a Circle based on your neighborhood and your child’s school. We strongly encourage new participants to sign up with a few neighborhood friends or close friends to create a new circle!