History of the Tuckahoe Family YMCA
The Tuckahoe Branch was launched in January 1959 when 15 area businessmen and civic leaders held an organizational meeting. By February, the branch had seven Gra-Y Clubs operating and one Hi-Y Club. Four sessions of summer camp took place that year at Collegiate School and two Indian Guide tribes were operating by year end.
The Tuckahoe Branch enjoy steady growth in the ensuing years. By 1962, programs for youth tripled, membership stood at 2,200 and it had 61 clubs. That same year a 16.6-acre parcel of land was acquired on Patterson Avenue, though construction did not begin until 1971 following a capital campaign.
In 1975, it moved into its new facility, which contained a gym, outdoor pool, occur rooms, club room and offices.
Today, the Tuckahoe Family YMCA is one Richmond's largest Ys.
The text was taken from the book "The Richmond YMCA: 150 Years of Innovation and Service for Central Virginia" by Edward R. Crews.