- Welcome Back!
We're so glad to be able to welcome you back into our buildings! Please be mindful of these temporary changes throughout our YMCAs.
Welcome Back Guidelines
All branches are now open! Members may use indoor fitness equipment based on the guidelines below, and we’ll be offering indoor and outdoor classes, water fitness, recreational and lap swim by reservation only.
The 10th Street YMCA will remain closed. Members are encouraged to use any other YMCA.
Most locations now open at 5 a.m. or 5:30 a.m. (Chester Family YMCA opens at 4:45 a.m) and closes at 7 p.m.
All locations open at 7 a.m. on Saturday, with varying closing times on Saturday.
Sunday hours vary by location as well.
FEELING SICK? STAY HOME!
While we can’t wait for you to return to the Y, please stay home if you’re not feeling well. Please remember to follow the recommended 10-feet apart from other members while working out and wash your hands often!
Building capacity will be dictated by the Governor’s mandates, which may mean a wait time to access the building during high usage times.
Don’t want to wait? Check our current capacity at any YMCA location!
- Child Watch remains closed.
- Coffee service is temporarily suspended. Open seating in our lobbies has also been temporarily removed.
- We will ask you to scan in AND out so we can allow quicker access to those waiting to come in.
- Members will be asked to review a series of health-related questions prior to entering the building to help ensure safety for all members and staff.
- We cannot accommodate any guests or Nationwide Memberships at this time. Access will be reserved for YMCA of Greater Richmond members only.
- Please bring your own bottled water. Although touchless filling stations are available, “bubbler” fountains will not be.
- Masks/face coverings will be required in all areas of the buildings, except while exercising.
Classes and Workouts
While we are able to open, we will be operating on a reduced capacity. Some of our equipment and sections of our building will be temporarily unavailable.
All YMCA locations will be offering a restricted number of group exercise classes.
- Please limit your workout to 1 hour or less and leave promptly so we can accommodate as many members as possible.
- Locker rooms will be available, but space is limited.
- Showers will be available starting July 1. No hairdryers will be available.
- Please bring your own mats for yoga—we will not be providing them.
- Group Exercise classes will be limited in offerings and group size, and all classes will require a reservation for the class. Please reserve your spot on YMCA Richmond app or the schedules page.
- Please continue to observe at least 10 feet of separation between other members while working out.
Aquatics & Pools
- Beginning July 1, recreational swimming will be available by reservation only. Please note that one reservation accommodates up to 5 family members. Families with 6 or more people will need to make 2 reservations at the same time.
- Outdoor Family Swim reservations will be for up to 1 hour 45 minutes. Our indoor pool family swim times vary by locations.
- Reservations for all swimming can be made through our YMCA Richmond app or the schedules page.
- Recreational swimming is only for YMCA Members only; we can not accommodate guests at this time.
- All pools are open as of July 1.
- Slides/Splash Pads/Hot Tubs/Saunas/Baby Pools will remain closed. Baby Pools will reopen at various branches over the next few weeks.
- Members need to bring their own chair(s) to lounge by the pool in their assigned areas if they wish to lounge by the pool. Our pool furniture will not be available at this time.
- Lap swimming and individual water exercise still requires a reservation. We will fill lap lanes with a maximum of 2 individuals per lane. Reservations can be made through our YMCA Richmond app or the schedules page.
- For lap swim, swimmers will start at opposite ends of the pool, and should stay to the right side of the lane.
- The competition pool at the Midlothian Family YMCA and the lap pool at YMCA Camp Thunderbird are not heated. Please note that all outdoor pool temperatures may fluctuate depending on weather conditions.
- Water Fitness classes are available by reservation only.
- Gymnasiums are closed for any ball or group sports (basketball, pickle ball, dodgeball, etc.). However, walking/running tracks are open.
Cross Country, Tae Kwon Do, Dance, Cheerleading, Gymnastics and Ninja Warrior are currently underway at various locations. If you have previously registered, you will be contacted directly with information about specific start dates.
- Soccer began on June 13 under new guidelines.
- Summer Sports and Specialty Camps remain postponed at this time.
- Flag Football, Volleyball, Basketball, Pickleball and Rookie Sports leagues have been cancelled. Members who had previously registered for these programs will have a credit on their YMCA account.
- All programs will maintain an appropriate staff to participant ratio following social distancing guidelines.
- Summer camp programs are currently ongoing.
Help Us Stay Safe
All staff will have their temperature taken prior to check in. Members will asked to review a series of wellness questions.
Wipe Down Equipment
Use the cleaning materials provided. Wipe equipment before and after your workout.
Keep Your Distance
Stay at least 10 feet away from others wherever possible.
At times of full occupancy, you will be asked to wait in a designated area until space is available.
Wear Your Mask
The YMCA is following the Governor’s mandate that our members wear masks when inside buildings. This includes entering and exiting the building as well as common areas. Masks are not required during exercise. All YMCA staff will wear masks while on duty. Fitness instructors may choose to remove their masks while teaching, but will maintain a 15-foot social distance.
CDC and state guidelines encourage seniors and other vulnerable populations to stay home.
We appreciate your adherence to these short-term changes and guidelines. Please bear in mind that we know this is not the Y you walked out of on March 17. Thank you for doing your part in helping maintain a safe environment for everyone. We look forward to seeing you soon!