A Verizon issue may prevent some Verizon customers from calling in.×
- Welcome Back!
We're so glad to be able to welcome you back into our buildings! Please be mindful of these temporary changes throughout our YMCAs.
Welcome Back Guidelines
We’re excited to finally be reopened at all of our locations. (The 10th Street YMCA remains closed.) Come join us for group exercise classes, fitness equipment, water fitness, recreational and lap swim and more!
As the 10th Street YMCA is remaining closed temporarily, all members are encouraged to use any other YMCA.
Most locations open at 5 a.m. or 5:30 a.m. (Chester Family YMCA opens at 4:45 a.m) and close at either 7 or 8 p.m. weekdays.
All locations open at 7 a.m. on Saturday, with varying closing times on Saturday. Sunday hours vary by location as well.
Outdoor Pool Hours
All outdoor pools will close at 8 p.m. Monday – Friday and 5 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday. Outdoor pools are available at the YMCAs in Midlothian, Goochland and Powhatan.
FEELING SICK? STAY HOME!
While we can’t wait for you to return to the Y, please stay home if you’re not feeling well. Please remember to follow the recommended 10-feet apart from other members while working out and wash your hands often!
How Full Are We?
- Child Watch will reopen at select locations beginning November 1.
- Coffee service is temporarily suspended. Open seating in our lobbies has also been temporarily removed.
- We will ask you to scan in AND out so we can allow quicker access to those waiting to come in.
- Members will be asked to review a series of health-related questions prior to entering the building to help ensure safety for all members and staff.
- We cannot accommodate any guests at this time. Nationwide Memberships are now able to return to using our YMCA Richmond locations.
- Please bring your own bottled water. Although touchless filling stations are available, “bubbler” fountains will not be.
- Masks/face coverings will be required in all areas of the buildings, except while exercising.
Classes and Workouts
While we are able to open, we will be operating on a reduced capacity. Some of our equipment and sections of our building will be temporarily unavailable.
All YMCA locations will be offering a restricted number of group exercise classes.
- Please limit your workout to 1 hour or less and leave promptly so we can accommodate as many members as possible.
- Locker rooms will be available, but space is limited.
- Showers are available, but no hairdryers will be available.
- Please bring your own mats for yoga—we will not be providing them.
- Group Exercise classes will be limited in offerings and group size, and all classes will require a reservation for the class. Please reserve your spot on YMCA Richmond app or the schedules page.
- Please continue to observe at least 10 feet of separation between other members while working out.
Aquatics & Pools
- Recreational swimming is available by reservation only. Please note that one reservation accommodates up to 5 family members. Families with 6 or more people will need to make 2 reservations at the same time.
- Outdoor Family Swim reservations will be for up to 1 hour 45 minutes. Our indoor pool family swim times vary by locations.
- Reservations for all swimming can be made through our YMCA Richmond app or the schedules page.
- Recreational swimming is only for YMCA Members only; we can not accommodate guests at this time.
- All pools are open as of July 1.
- Slides/Splash Pads/Hot Tubs/Saunas/Baby Pools will remain closed. Baby Pools will reopen at various branches over the next few weeks.
- Members need to bring their own chair(s) to lounge by the pool in their assigned areas if they wish to lounge by the pool. Our pool furniture will not be available at this time.
- Lap swimming and individual water exercise still requires a reservation. We will fill lap lanes with a maximum of 2 individuals per lane. Reservations can be made through our YMCA Richmond app or the schedules page.
- For lap swim, swimmers will start at opposite ends of the pool, and should stay to the right side of the lane.
- The competition pool at the Midlothian Family YMCA and the lap pool at YMCA Camp Thunderbird are not heated. Please note that all outdoor pool temperatures may fluctuate depending on weather conditions.
- Water Fitness classes are available by reservation only.
Our gymnasiums have re-opened for some activity, but may look different branch to branch.
- Pickleball is available during scheduled times. Masks are required when not at play (waiting for your turn, walking into the facility, etc.). Reservations are required.
- Basketball is open during available times for individuals or families to shoot basketball. No games. Members are encouraged to bring their own ball. One person per basket unless members all live under the same roof. Reservations are required.
- Racquetball and squash are available play at the Downtown YMCA. Members must bring their own equipment. Reservations are required.
- YMCA Spring Sports programs returned in mid-June in a modified capacity. Any spring sports that were cancelled were placed as a credit on accounts, or refunded to participants.
- YMCA Summer Sports & Specialty Camps started back up in August in a modified, fun, new format outdoors-only and encouraging social distancing.
- YMCA Fall Sports are RETURNING TO LEAGUES, which means we will be playing games!
- The YMCA has the best interests of your children in mind and we will be following YMCA Sports safety and health precautions under COVID-19 for YMCA Fall Sports. Click here for a RETURN TO PLAY manual.
- We are supporting families by supporting virtual learning in our surrounding localities. From traditional after-school care to virtual support centers, we are helping parents and students navigate this difficult time. Learn more!
Child Watch is a free service for YMCA members. Please observe the following safety measures for all child watch participants:
- For 2 year olds (who are potty trained), face masks are discouraged according to the CDC.
- For 3 – 4 year olds, face masks are recommended.
- For 5+ year olds, face masks are required.
- Reservations are required and can be made online or through the app.
- Each reservation allows up to 2 children per reservation.
- Only two reservations per day per child. For back-to-back reservations, child must be picked up in between blocks to allow for cleaning and sanitizing.
- Participants must be completely potty trained and able to use the restroom without assistance (no pull-ups).
- COVID questionnaire followed by temperature check of participants will be required at the child watch front entrance.
Help Us Stay Safe
All staff will have their temperature taken prior to check in. Members will asked to review a series of wellness questions.
Wipe Down Equipment
Use the cleaning materials provided. Wipe equipment before and after your workout.
Keep Your Distance
Stay at least 10 feet away from others wherever possible.
At times of full occupancy, you will be asked to wait in a designated area until space is available.
Wear Your Mask
The YMCA is following the Governor’s mandate that our members wear masks when inside buildings. This includes entering and exiting the building as well as common areas. Masks are not required during exercise. All YMCA staff will wear masks while on duty. Fitness instructors may choose to remove their masks while teaching, but will maintain a 15-foot social distance.
CDC and state guidelines encourage seniors and other vulnerable populations to stay home.
We appreciate your adherence to these short-term changes and guidelines. Please bear in mind that we know this is not the Y you walked out of on March 17. Thank you for doing your part in helping maintain a safe environment for everyone. We look forward to seeing you soon!