Bring your family for a exciting weekend of camp activities at Family Camp!
Join us for the first ever Family Camp at YMCA Camp Thunderbird!
Welcome all families to Camp Thunderbird for a two-day, one-night experience. Whether you are an experienced camper or want to camp for the first time with your family- this weekend is perfect for you! This year’s theme is Camp Quest, where we will have specific activities designed for families to explore the great outdoors!
Registration begins June 1.
THEME: Camp Quest
SCHEDULE: October 16 – 17, 2021
- Check-in begins at 8:30 a.m.
- Specialist Activities are open all day
- Saturday night activities to bring families together
Sunday, May 2
- Open Activities and Check-out by noon
Activities: Saturday activities included, archery, marksmanship (.22 rifles for ages 10+ and BB rifles for younger campers), art, zipline and alpine tower (ages 8+). Open activities include gaga, 9 square, hiking, fishing, basketball, field sports and more!
Who: Families with children under the age of 12 is suggested. Registration includes one family under the same address and same YMCA account (member or non-member).
- Bath houses with showers
- Electricity close by- if needed
- Each camp site location is spaced for two tents per family. Campers are encouraged to have friends join them to create their own tent camping group (requests for camping locations is first come first served and must be made at the time of registration)
What to Bring: Water, meals, snacks, activewear (including closed toed shoes), mask, sleeping supplies, tent, flashlights, bonfire materials (ask about vendor contacts), rain jacket, Talent Show materials, costumes for theme. Please provide your own firewood during the weekend as well.
Cost: YMCA Members: $80, Non-Members: $100
Have questions? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or the camp office at (804)748-6714.
Health Precautions for Family Camp
As this is a new experience to families amidst a season of differences, we want you to know that we are adhering to the latest guidelines and recommendations from the CDC and Virginia Department of Health. Our guidelines for mask wearing, social distancing, and cleanliness will be updated as the campout gets closer. Here is what we did last season:
- Camp staff will designate tent camping locations only. Cabin locations will not be used.
- Saturday Ceremonies will maintain social distancing standards.
- Each set of families will have a schedule to follow that limits intermingling of groups. Blocks will be open to fish, hike, or just relax.
- Health screening questions will be answered upon arrival.
- All activities will be cleaned and sanitized after each rotation.
- Masks should be worn in areas where 6 feet of distance cannot be observed.