The Northside Family YMCA is a resource within your community of men, women and children committed to bringing about lasting personal and social change. With a focus on nurturing the potential of every child and teen, improving the nation’s health and well-being and providing opportunities to give back and support neighbors, the Y enables youth, adults, families and communities to be healthy, confident, connected and secure.
The Northside Family YMCA has an amazing history of service in Richmond. Beginning in 1887 as the Richmond Colored YMCA, the Y first met in the Sunday School Auditorium of Ebenezer Baptist Church, moving into its own building on the corner of Leigh and Third Streets the following year.
In 1940, the Y changed its name to the “Leigh Street YMCA” and began offering summer camp programming. By 1954, the Y had joined with the other area Ys and joined the Richmond YMCA Metropolitan Association, currently known as the YMCA of Greater Richmond.
In 1974, the Y changed locations again to its current location on Old Brook Road. Today, this historic branch is known as the Northside Family YMCA and continues to serve the people of Richmond.