Throughout Central Virginia, countless people know the Y. But there’s so much more to our Y than one might think.
For 160 years, the YMCA OF GREATER RICHMOND has been proud to help our neighbors learn, grow and thrive. The Y is so much more than a gym … it’s a cause. We are dedicated to strengthening our community by focusing on youth development, healthy living and social responsibility.
Our community faces new challenges that create a greater need than ever for the work we do every day. Fortunately, where some see obstacles, we see opportunities for our members, volunteers and staff to make a difference.
Together, we can achieve so much more.
- $50 provides a child with lifesaving skills and self-confidence during eight Learn to Swim Lessons.
- $150 provides a child with recreation, positive role models and homework help for two weeks of YMCA after-school care.
- $429 offers an individual with the hope, tools and resources necessary to combat chronic disease in the YMCA Diabetes Management Program.
- $664 enables a teen to celebrate their academic success, physical wellness and community service by attending a week at YMCA Blue Ridge Leaders’ School.
- $1,000 keeps the Y open to all by providing a family the chance to recreate and get healthy together with a YMCA membership for an entire year.
- $2,500 allows a child to experience leadership, learning and all the joys of Summer Day Camp for an entire summer.
We are committed to strengthening the foundations of our community every day. It is our cause. We strengthen human capacity by working with our neighbors to bring about transformational change together and we call that community development. We take on the challenges that will shape our community’s future like lifting our children through academic enrichment, childhood obesity and the diabetes epidemic. In order to continue our work, we need your support.
We ensure the Y remains open to all offering financial assistance for those whose financial resources are a barrier to participation. The composition of our neighborhoods and demographics are changing and we are uniquely positioned to support and empower all people.
- We will engage and convene the varying demographics in our community to live, work and play through our programs and services.
- The Y ensures no one is turned away due to an inability to pay.
- We provide memberships, professional support and small groups to support the management or aid in the prevention of obesity and diabetes.
- Reducing the rate of obesity among youth and adults in our Y service area through wellness programs and 30 minutes of daily physical activity in our out-of-school time programs.
- Reducing the occurrences of diabetes among adults in our Y service area through YMCA Diabetes Prevention and YMCA Diabetes Management programs.
- We will work with vulnerable populations of older adults to prevent social isolation and increase physical activity to work with them to age actively.
All children deserve the opportunity to discover who they are and what they can achieve, under the guidance of adults who care about them and believe in their potential. We see every interaction with a child as an opportunity for engaging, learning and development.
- We will offer children and teens throughout the varied and diverse communities of our region a safe and engaging environment during out-of-school time hours, with a commitment to year-round programs that offer holistic enrichment and support that will prepare them for success in school and life.
- We will strengthen the learning opportunities and capacity for academic success of every student enrolled in YMCA out-of-school time programs.
- We will equip teens with the skills to be leaders of tomorrow through programs like Leaders’ Club, Y Achievers and Blue Ridge Leaders’ School, a weeklong leadership program in North Carolina.
- We will work to prevent drowning by teaching children basic swimming and water safety skills through Learn To Swim, a Y program for more than 3,000 second-graders in our community.